Monday, June 8, 2009

Cake = Swing!

As you can see from the last 2 previous posts, Ayla really likes swings. So I have been wanting to get one for her to put on the swing set at Grandma and Grandpa Wiechert's. And then when we get a house and a swing set, we can put it on that one.  By then Ayla might be too big but her younger sibling will be able to use it. At least she will get to use it at Grandma's and Grandpa's every week when we go to do our laundry. 

Anyway, I was thinking about how I wanted to pay for it. I didn't want to go and splurge. I had been doing that too often lately. I was thinking it would be nice to get paid for making a cake. Well on Friday, my sister called me and asked me a favor. It was to decorate a cake. A wedding cake might I add. The great thing was that the bride had already baked the cake and made the frosting. I just had to decorate it. So I got to do the fun part.  The sad thing was the bride was so stressed because the person who was making her cake had told her the cake she baked had crumbled and she didn't have time to make her a new cake. So Melissa (the Bride) naturally felt hopeless so she baked it herself along with one of her friends.  She just needed someone to frost it and decorate it. So she called her husband to be, crying and her husband to be, called his son,  Monty (who happens to be my sister's boyfriend) and Monty told him that I was a cake decorator. So Melissa called Marion and Marion called me and the rest is history. 

Marion came over that evening with my mother to help with the cake. 

Marion had put one of the pieces of cardboard we had cut off for the cake board around Ayla's waist as a tutu. It was so cute. It was such a tiny hole and Ayla's little waist fit into it. LOL!!


Ayla and I got to go to the wedding the next day on Saturday. Here is Marion with Ayla. The 2 men in cowboy hats are Monty and his dad Greg (the groom).  It was a beautiful old home where they had the ceremony.


This is where the bride walked down the isle. Isn't it beautiful?


Behind me and Ayla is where the ceremony took place.


The groom.


The bride.


The ceremony.


These two beautiful little girls are Monty's nieces, JD and Alissa. 
They both loved holding Ayla


Here is a close up of Marion. Zac, Monty's nephew put this huge rose in her hair. We thought it looked pretty funny! It is almost the size of her head! LOL!!


She then gave it to Ayla.



Ayla carried that rose the rest of the time we were at the old house until we got in the car to go to the Golden Coral luncheon where I was to set up the cake.


I thought it was so cute that Alissa just kept picking Ayla up and carrying her all over.


Her she is again. Ayla almost was in the family photo! LOL!!


Here is Monty and his dad. Monty is in the black.


And here is the cake. 
I think it turned out beautiful. I love to do butter cream cakes more than fondant. They are just easier to work with. This frosting was a chocolate butter cream and the best thing was that I didn't have to make it, thanks to the poor bride that did.


Here is a picture after they cut it.
I took this picture to show the detail on each layer that I did.

That evening, after the wedding, Ayla and I headed out to my parents to get my dad and go and get Ayla a swing. 


Here is my dad pushing Ayla on the swing.


She loves it!


I wished that all the pictures weren't blurry but you can kind of tell how much she loves it.

I feel that we were blessed because I wanted a way to pay for her swing without splurging and the opportunity came quicker than expected and just how I wanted it to be!! Heavenly Father wants us all to be happy even if it is something as simple as me watching my daughter enjoy swinging in her swing!

I love you Heavenly Father!!!

8 comments:

Nanette said...

I love this! Thank you for posting-I want a new ipod but I'm pretty sure that is just a vanity that I need to let go of. A swing for your little girl is a much more worthy goal.
I just love you.

Julie Thorup said...

That is so cool! I love it when little miracles like that happen! It just goes to show how much we are loved.

The cake is gorgeous by the way! Good job! I should post an ad for you on my Julie Surprise blog or something. If you want, you could end me a picture of your favorite cake you've ever decorated and it could link to your blog or something.

In fact! Maybe you could make a new blog just for your cakes, like a portfolio, and you could give people an idea of prices and stuff and the ad could link to that.

Just an idea. :}

Ann Marie said...

Thanks for sharing your tender mercy... Isn't it amazing that even those "little" things that we desire are still prayers heard by Heavenly Father? I am always amazed....

I'm glad she has her very own swing to say " WEE " in all she wants... :)

The cake looks gorgeous.. as always and I am IN LOVE with her wedding place! So lovely!

Chad and Clair said...

This was a cute story! It is so true. He really does help us even with the little things. And the cake turned out beautiful.

Suzanne said...

Heather!! Your cake decorating was wonderful!! WOW!! What a neat experience to read about. So glad Ayla has a swing. Still working on getting one of those around here! -Suzanne

Elizabeth said...

I didn't know you could decorate cakes. It is so beautiful. I can't believe the detail. Where did you learn to do that? Ayla is so cute on the swing. I'm glad you were able to get it. She's so cute.

Nancy Face said...

What a wonderful post! I'm so glad you could save the day and decorate that beautiful cake for the bride, and then be able to get the swing! The house where the wedding was held sure is beautiful! I don't think I've ever seen such a big rose! :)

Miss Megan said...

My husband and I had our wedding reception at the White Willow. I just walked into the room and FELL IN LOVE! So gorgeous! Thanks for sharing those pictures...brings back lots of memories.

P.S. This weekend was my 6 year anniversary and we went up to Salt Lake and toured the conference center as well. Isn't the roof amazing? I loved it. Anyways, sorry I have been MIA for so long...maybe I'll be back now? IDK, but at least I'm finally checking everyone's blogs, right?