Thursday, January 29, 2009

Playing Hair Salon.

My mother was complaining the last few months about her hair and how she wanted it to be dyed and cut. So I told her that I would do it. She's okay with me dying it because I have done it in the past but she was scared about the cutting. So I told her I would call my friend Melissa (who does hair for a living) and have her teach me how to cut her hair. She was all for that. So that is what this post is about. 

Two weeks ago from today, I dyed my mother's hair.

This is the before picture from the back. Notice all the dark roots? Yeah, it had been a while since she had her hair done and it was time.

The front view before dying it.

My poor mother had bought this hair dye at least 3 months ago. 
I made a smock out of a trash bag and I was ready to go.

I dyed her hair in their basement because I did not want the fumes around Ayla.

It took me about 30 minutes for me to apply the dye and then she had to let it sit for another 30 minutes. I then rinsed and put condition in her hair and made her keep that in for an additional 5 minutes and then I rinsed her hair again. Totally playing hair salon.

This is the after picture from the back, After I had dyed it. Doesn't it look better?

And of course the front view of after.

That following Tuesday, I had my friend Melissa come over to show me how to cut my mom's hair and to let me do it. 

So here is the back before I cut it.

And here is the front view before I cut it. Look at how long those bangs are. Crazy.

Me trying to figure out where I was supposed to cut. 

It was kind of hard but I started to get the hang of it.

In the action of cutting. Yikes!

I had cut my mom's whole head to the length she wanted it, with Melissa coaching me the whole way. But when it came to blending the hair together, lets just say I was not ready to do that part. Melissa said she didn't expect me to be able to do that my first time and that she didn't even blend the hair on her first hair cut. So she told me that I could learn it the next time I cut my mom's hair and that cutting the length is hard enough for your first time. 

So here she is blending the hair for me.
 I think I can tackle that next time though. I was already trying to remember how I had cut her length. There is actually a lot to cutting it the same length because you have to part the hair a certain way and cut the length, then use the cut as a guide line to get all the hair the same length. Pretty interesting.

After that, my mother went and blow dried her hair for the after pictures.

So here is the back. I cut off about 4 to 5 inches of hair.

And here is the final product. My mom can see again. Yay!
I think it turned out really well and just how my mom likes her hair to look. 

It was fun playing hair salon and I think it was fun to try to develop a new talent. And I had a happy mother at the end of the experience. I think this new talent will help me in the future with cutting my kids' hair. I don't plan on doing it on other people that much though. I will stick to my talent and that is making and decorating cakes.

Thanks Melissa for sharing your talent with me and blending my mom's hair for me. That was definitely the hardest part of the whole process. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a great job. I cut a lot of my families hair too. It just takes practice and then before you know it your a pro.

Ann Marie said...

Yay! Her hair looks so much thicker! I love that you are always helping somebody, or trying new things out!
Love the trash bag smock.. Your so cute Heather! It was good to see you yesterday! Have a good weekend!

The Wonderful World of Wampler said...

Hi Melissa =) I love when Heather puts you in her posts.
***************************
You did a good job Heather. I need someone to teach me how to cut hair. The other day I was messing around with my hair, and I CUT a big chunck out in the back. Evan was laughing at me...he kept telling me just to wait and go get it cut by someone who knows what they are doing...But you know me, when I want something done....I want it done NOW. So here I am...with a bald spot in the back of my hair. Ohhh.....boy! Not cool.
Please tell you mom I think she looks HOT.

Debi (Dubs2007) said...

You did do a great job. I cut my husbands hair for the first time this last week, and I am pretty happy with the result, but it was really hard! You did a good job, I would have you cut my hair!